Note: Some links in this post are affiliate links, and we will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking through our links. Thank you. Read our disclosure + terms here.
I wish potatoes were their own food group because I would live off of them if I could. I think for the next event we host at our house, it’s going to be a potato bar. Everyone should bring a different type of potato. Although, we all might end up napping instead of doing whatever it is we’re supposed to do.
That sounds heavenly too! Potatoes, friends and napping? Hell to the yes please!
Anyway, I’m testing out a new recipe and I wanted to share it with you. It’s called Cheesy Smashed Baked Potatoes. They are fairly easy to make and give boring, bland potatoes just the right amount of kick.
I made these while I was writing up my content strategy that I will be sharing with you too! But for now, let’s get this deliciousness going.
There isn’t a lot of prep time either. And while it looks messy, it is fairly clean and really easy to cook!
Cheesy Smashed Baked Potatoes
First you will boil the water. Make sure to add salt in it.
Once the water is boiling, then you’ll add the potatoes. You will cook them for 15 minutes, or until you can stick a fork in them. I like them to be tender. It makes smashing them MUCH easier.
Once you do that, then you’ll drain the water and let the potatoes cool for just a few minutes. Not too long, but warm enough so that if you touch them, you aren’t going to be screaming Bloody Mary.
Next, you’ll want to place the potatoes on the baking sheet that is covered with aluminum foil. Make sure that you leave room between them because you will be, obviously, smashing them and they will need some room.
Next up – SMASH THEM! I used a very basic potato smasher that I got off of Amazon. I also linked to a different one below that looks a bit higher quality.
You’ll want to smash them until they are mostly flat. I like mine a bit “thicker.” However, if that’s not your thing, you can make them as flat as you want. They will be delicious no matter what.
Now that they are smashed, let’s add the good stuff! First, add the butter. I place a small piece of the butter on each top of the potatoes and then I sprinkle the cheese on top of them.
Once that’s done, I sprinkle garlic powder, parsley and salt and pepper on them. This time I made two batches this time around and with one of the batches, I did add some bacon crumbles to some of them because I wanted to test it out. Add any extra toppings that you want to add. Test it out and see how you like it.
Then you’ll put them in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until they are golden brown.
Take them out and enjoy them! We had these on Easter Sunday with steak and they were incredible! I can’t wait to add these to our list of potatoes. Yes, I have a list of potatoes and ideas to try. Also, yes, I do have a potato obsession problem. And I'm 100% okay with that 😉Print
Cheesy Smashed Baked Potatoes
A simple and delicious Smashed Potatoes Recipe loaded with bits of garlic, cheese, and bacon! Everyone will love this dish!
- 1 lb. potatoes – I used Gold but Red potatoes work wonderfully too
- 5 T. unsalted butter (may need a little more depending on how many potatoes), cut into small chunks – I cut my chunks into ½ tablespoon and then I cut the ½ tablespoon in half and put them on each potato
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese (or your cheese of preference – we used taco cheese on some and mozzarella on the others)
- 1 – 2 T. garlic powder
- 3 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bacon crumbles (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 450°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Boil a large pot of salted water and add potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Drain pot and set potatoes aside to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, place potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and mash with a potato masher until flat. Leave space between potatoes so they are not too close.
- Top each potato with butter and a sprinkle of your cheese.
- Sprinkle them with garlic powder and parsley.
- Place in your preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are nicely browned.
- Remove from the oven and top with remaining cheese and fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
Share with me! What has been your favorite type of potato that you’ve had? For me, nothing beats fluffy mashed potatoes. I could literally eat them every single day and be as happy as a clam.
Comment below and share yours with me! Orrr if you make this, let me know how you like it or what toppings you might have added to them.